Skip to main content

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed.

This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here.

I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list 😆

Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the area. They also helped me improve my Italian a lot, even though I was criticized till the end for not gesticulating much when talking. But who knows - maybe they’ll manage to still teach me that when I come to visit them in the future 😅



The celebration of my birthday in Caritas in October

Though, it wasn’t just my new friends who taught me a lot. During my volunteering activities in Caritas, I didn’t only get to know many other volunteers, but also had the chance to work directly with the beneficiaries. I learned a lot about their backgrounds and stories, which helped me change my point of view and become aware of some prejudices I had had.

When someone asks me about my favorite part of volunteering in Caritas, the answer is certainly the people, but also the variety of tasks I had. I selected donations, helped at the food and clothing store, supported the volunteers in the kitchen, wrote blog posts, helped at a homeless shelter … All of these very diverse types of work helped me develop some practical skills that will certainly be very useful for me in the future. They even made it possible for me to discover more about myself - before coming here, I thought I hated cooking, but turns out, I was completely wrong about that!

I want to use this post to say „Thank you“ to all of the people I met inside and outside of Caritas who made this experience so incredible. Thank you for being so welcoming from the beginning and for letting me be a part of your life. Thank you for all of the fun we had together and for everything you’ve taught me. It has been a pleasure spending these six months with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly 😅...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!