Skip to main content

April 2024 highlights


🌟 Reflecting on April 🌟


April was our first month here at Caritas Jesi it was an incredible month. Here are some of the highlights that made it truly memorable:

Day trip to Loreto



We started our journey in Loreto with servizio civile meeting where we integrated with other young people. Later we discovered the city starting with Basilica of the Holy House. It is basically the central attraction. It’s believed that is the house where the Virgin Mary lived and where the Annunciation took place. We also explored the charming streets, local shops, and traditional Italian cafes. The town offers a serene atmosphere with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside and the Adriatic Sea. We liked the vibes.


Palestinian Dinner


Caritas organized a fundraising dinner for Palestine. We were invited to help the staff preparations before the start of the dinner. All the food was traditional Palestinian food made by Italian-Palestinian women. 

During the dinner, people expressed their solidarity with the Palestinian Struggle through speeches, applauses and simply showing up. 

We happily brought our first Keffiyehs! We can finally join the solidarity movement with a little more style.


First interactions with familiar faces

We are a recognisable international DUO! Meeting familiar faces in Jesi our small city is always a heartwarming experience. While walking down the main street it's common to bump into our friends, coworkers, and neighbors, each encounter filled with smiles and friendly chats. Local shops and cafes become gathering spots where most people know our names and catching up with our people brings a sense of belonging and community. These moments remind us of the connections we made here which helps us to feel more at home.

However, sometimes we have to pull out Google Translate for some communication as was the case in this picture.


Opera night


Our first visit in Teatro Pergolesi! The "Berilno" is a performance rich in dynamic musical compositions, creating a wonderful experience. The Teatro Pergolesi is known for its beautiful architecture and acoustic excellence, providing the perfect backdrop for this show. The conductor of the orchestra was very young, only 26 years old, and he has an amazing talent which offered us a unique and memorable evening. We also enjoyed a lot the clarinet guy who played long solo music.


Liberty day/ Anniversario della Resistenza / 25 de Abril


On the 25th of April Portugal celebrates the day of the fall of the Fascist regime and so does Italy! This year marked 50 years in Portugal and was full of big celebrations. Regardless of some FOMO, we managed to celebrate the importance of freedom and democracy. The resistance is an international and timeless movement and we will ensure that this day keeps on being celebrated! 
In Jesi, the celebration consisted of a march followed by some speeches honoring the Partigiani who died for an Italy free of fascism.


Napoli trip

Memories from our first trip to Napoli and also our first longer trip together are filled with vibrant experiences and rich cultural encounters. The bustling streets were alive with the sounds of lively conversations and people eating authentic Napolitana pizza. Visits to historic sites like the Maradona District and Quartieri Spagnol left a profound impression on us. We discovered hidden gems in artisan shops and tasted the city's famous pastries, like sfogliatella and baba. The panoramic views from Castel dell'Ovo and a sunset on seafront provided perfect moments of reflection, capturing the essence of Napoli's charm and history. We feel that we belong there and we want to come back. We still have many things to discover ☺


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed. This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here. I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list 😆 Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the a...

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly 😅...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!