Skip to main content

Ciao, sono Emma!

Ciao! My name is Emma and I joined Caritas Jesi three weeks ago as the new ESC volunteer.

I have only recently gratuated from school in my home country, Austria. After having studied for years, I could not picture myself attending university right away, which is why I decided to take a gap year. I wanted to use it to improve my knowledge of the Italian language, as I had already studied it at school. However, finding something suitable, even after I had learned about the European Solidarity Corps, turned out to be rather challenging. I eventually came across Caritas Jesi and decided to send in my application, which turned out to be just the right decision.

After having completed all the necessary steps before my departure, I finally arrived in Jesi three weeks ago. As you can see, I haven't been here for long, but I already feel like being a part of the diverse, committed and unbelievably welcoming team of Caritas Jesi. At the beginnig, I had this fear of feeling alone in a foreign country, but I realised right on my first evening that I had absolutely no reason for being afraid. My flatmates, Rio and Louise, welcomed me with a delicious dinner and we chatted until late at night. Apart from them, the volunteers and employees at Caritas also did their best to include me from the very first moment. Even if my Italian doesn't always work as I would like it to, they always remain patient with me and are willing to explain things multiple times in order to help me understand.


 Me with Rio and Louise while working in the kitchen

In the few weeks I have been here, I've already learned a lot about Caritas and its different services. As an ESC volunteer, I have the opportunity to help out in many of them in the course of a week. Once a week, I get the opportunity of sorting out donations with other volunteers. The donated clothes considered suitable are then brought to the solidarity shop, called Rivestiamo, where I also help out twice a week. However, I spend most of my time in the kitchen, where I support the cook and other volunteers in preparing lunch for the beneficiaries. I do so for instance by cutting vegetables, washing utensils and sorting the storage room. Other than that, there are two more services that form an important part of the tasks of ESC volunteers. One is promotion, which we do for example by creating posters or writing this blog. The other is helping out at the homeless shelter one evening a week for two hours. At the beginning, I wasn't sure what to expect, but my primary task there turned out to be rather simple. Talking to the people. Talking to them to help them feel comfortable.

What I've seen of Caritas Jesi so far has proven me right in my decision to come here. The facility helps people who really need it in more than one field. However, what makes Caritas special is not only the services. It's the people. I'm more than looking forward to working together with them for the next six months!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed. This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here. I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list 😆 Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the a...

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly 😅...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!