Skip to main content

ESC Volunteer vs. Servizio Civile Universale... What's the Difference?

 

Heyyyy everyone!

"What's the difference between an ESC volunteer and someone doing Servizio Civile Universale?"

At first, I also thought they were basically the same thing. We all volunteer, we all help people, and sometimes we even work side by side.

But there are actually some differences!

🌍 ESC (European Solidarity Corps) / Corpo Europeo di Solidarietà

I'm an ESC volunteer, which means I came from another European country (in my case, Spain ) to volunteer in Italy .

The ESC is a programme funded by the European Union that allows young people to participate in volunteering projects and solidarity actions in different countries.

The main goals are to promote social inclusion, cultural exchange, solidarity, and community development.

To join an ESC project, you usually need to:

  • Be between 18 and 30 years old (up to 35 years old for humanitarian aid projects)
  • Go to a country different from your country of residence
  • Participate in a project that can last from two weeks up to 12 months

One of the best things about ESC is that the main expenses are covered. Volunteers receive:

- Accommodation
- Food support
- Travel costs
- Insurance
- Pocket money

ESC projects can be in many different fields, such as:

1. Social inclusion: supporting vulnerable communities, education projects, youth centres, and people who need support.

2. Environment: protecting nature and promoting ecological awareness.

3. Culture and heritage: helping with artistic projects, cultural events, and activities that bring communities together.

For me, ESC is not only about volunteering. It's also about living in another country, learning a new language, discovering a different culture, and growing as a person.


Servizio Civile Universale

The volunteers doing Servizio Civile Universale dedicate a period of their life to helping others through projects focused on solidarity, social inclusion, education, culture, environmental protection, and community support.

Many people think that you have to be Italian to participate, but that's not always true! Young people from other countries can also apply, as long as they meet the requirements established in each call.

The programme was born in Italy, but today it is not limited only to Italian territory. There are also opportunities to participate in projects abroad, including different European countries, allowing volunteers to discover new cultures while contributing to different communities.

During their service, volunteers receive a monthly allowance and gain new skills, professional experience, and meaningful connections with people from different backgrounds.

The main difference is that Servizio Civile Universale is an Italian programme that can also offer international opportunities, while ESC is a European Union programme created specifically to encourage young people to move between countries and participate in European solidarity projects.


 🤝 What do we have in common?

Honestly... a lot!

Whether you are an ESC volunteer or doing Servizio Civile Universale, the values are very similar:

- Helping others
- Creating a positive impact
- Working with communities
- Learning new skills
- Meeting amazing people

At Caritas Jesi, we often work together. After some time, you stop thinking about who is doing which programme. At the end of the day, we are just a group of people trying to make things a little better.

Both experiences are unique opportunities to learn, grow, discover new perspectives, and create connections with people from different backgrounds.

And that's the beautiful thing about volunteering: no matter the programme, the most important part is the people you meet and the impact you create. 



Júlia <3  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed. This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here. I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list 😆 Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the a...

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly 😅...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!