Skip to main content

What Is a Day Like as an ESC Volunteer at Caritas Jesi?


Hey! It's been a while... 

Today I thought I'd show you what a typical day in my life as an ESC volunteer looks like!

The first thing you should know is that no two days are the same. Every day brings something different, so you have to get used to change and learn to embrace flexibility. That's one of the best parts of this experience!

Our day usually starts around 7:50 a.m. (I know... it's early! ). But waking up a bit earlier means we can have breakfast peacefully without rushing. Then we walk about 10 minutes to Caritas, which is actually a great way to wake up before starting work.

Let's imagine it's Wednesday, one of my busiest days.

As soon as we arrive, we head straight to the kitchen, where we work with Roberta, the head chef. She knows absolutely everything and keeps the kitchen running perfectly!

On Wednesdays, I also work alongside two amazing Italian volunteers, Adele and Jana. They have so much experience, and I always learn something from them.

My tasks in the kitchen change every week. Sometimes I prepare the dining room before lunch, other times I cut what feels like hundreds of pieces of bread, wash dishes, chop vegetables, boil pasta, or help prepare takeaway meals.

But more than cooking, what we really do is share. We share stories, experiences, laughs, and conversations. We check in with each other, spend time together, and create a really special atmosphere. That's what makes the kitchen such a wonderful place.

Around 12:00 p.m., everything is ready, and we open the doors so people can come in and enjoy their lunch.

Once everyone has eaten... it's cleaning time! (Definitely not my favourite part , but it's necessary.) We clean the kitchen and dining room so everything is ready for the volunteers who will serve dinner later that day.

By 1:00 p.m., we're finished, so we head home, have something to eat, and get a little break before the afternoon activities.

At 3:00 p.m., it's my turn to work at Rivestiamo. We rotate every week, but let's say this week is mine.

I work there until 5:00 p.m. with Cintia, who has been managing Rivestiamo for more than 15 years.

Rivestiamo is a second-hand clothing shop, but instead of paying with money, people use a points system. Visitors come by appointment, and we help them find clothes they need. It's a simple idea, but it has a huge impact on many families.

Then, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., we go to Casa delle Genti.

Our main job there is to serve dinner to the people staying at the shelter that month. But honestly, my favourite part isn't serving the food—it's the conversations.

Casa delle Genti gives you the chance to meet incredible people, hear their stories, and connect with them on a much deeper level. Every conversation teaches me something new, and I can honestly say I've learned so much from the people I've met there.

And that's it, folks! 

At 8:00 p.m., my day as an ESC volunteer comes to an end, and I head home to make my own dinner.

Yes... I now eat dinner at 8:30 p.m. Even though I'm Spanish, after five months in Italy I've become a little bit Italian. It felt strange at first, but honestly... it works! (Maybe it's even better for digestion! )


Ciaoooo ci vediamo alla prossima!


Júlia <3 





Jesi, Ancona 2026


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed. This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here. I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list 😆 Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the a...

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly 😅...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!