Skip to main content

10 Things You Should Know Before Doing an ESC 🌍

 



If you’re thinking about joining the European Solidarity Corps, you’ve probably already imagined the exciting parts: travelling, meeting people from all over Europe, discovering a new culture and having an experience you’ll never forget.

(And yes — all of that can happen.)

But there are also a few things I wish someone had told me before I started my ESC.

1. It’s not a holiday

You will travel, meet new people and have amazing experiences, but you’ll also have responsibilities, schedules, tasks and normal working days.

2. The beginning might feel strange

You can be incredibly excited and, at the same time, think:

“What am I doing here?”

That’s completely normal.

Moving to a new country, meeting new people and starting a completely different routine can be overwhelming. Feeling lost at the beginning doesn’t mean you made the wrong decision.

3. You will miss home

Even if you’re having the best time of your life, you might still miss your family, your friends, your favourite places or simply your normal routine.

And that’s okay.

You can be happy where you are and still miss home.

4. Not everyone you meet will become your best friend

One of the most exciting things about an ESC is meeting people from different countries and backgrounds.

But you won’t connect with everyone — and you don’t have to.

Some people will become really important to you, some will simply be part of your journey, and some might disappear from your life after the project. That’s part of it.

5. You will leave your comfort zone

A lot.

Speaking another language, making friends from scratch, travelling alone, dealing with unexpected situations or simply figuring things out without your usual support system can be scary.

But little by little, you realise:

“Wait… I can actually do this.”

And that feeling is pretty amazing.

6. Not every day will be amazing !

Some days will be incredible.

Other days will be boring, lonely, stressful or simply… normal.

And that’s okay.

You don’t have to make every day an adventure. Sometimes the best thing you can do is stay home, cook something, watch a movie and do absolutely nothing.

7. You might learn more about yourself than you expected

Before starting my ESC, I thought mostly about what I could contribute to the project.

But living abroad also teaches you a lot about yourself: your strengths, your weaknesses, what you need, what you value and what you want from life.

8. Your language skills don’t have to be perfect

You will make mistakes.

Probably a lot of them.

You’ll forget words, use the wrong expression and sometimes have absolutely no idea what someone is saying.

But that’s how you learn.

You don’t need to speak perfectly. You just need to be brave enough to try.

9. You don’t have to make the most of every single second

There can be a lot of pressure to “make the most of your ESC.”

Travel every weekend. Meet new people. Go everywhere. Try everything.

But you don’t have to.

Sometimes making the most of your experience means creating a routine, finding your favourite cafΓ©, going for a walk or having a quiet evening at home.

You’re allowed to feel at home in your new home.

10. You will probably come back a little different 🌱

Maybe you won’t notice it straight away.

But after spending months away from everything familiar, meeting different people, experiencing another culture and figuring things out on your own, something changes.

You grow.

You become more independent. You learn what matters to you. You discover things about yourself that you might never have discovered by staying in the same place.

And maybe the hardest part will be leaving.


To sum up, a little message to my pre-ESC self. If I could talk to myself the day before leaving, I would tell myself:

Don’t try to control everything !!!!!

There will be amazing days and difficult ones. You will miss home. You will make mistakes. You will meet people who will become really important to you. You will have moments when you wonder what you’re doing there.

But you will also have moments when you stop and think:

“I can’t believe this is my life right now.”

So take it slowly.

Don’t worry about having the perfect ESC.

Just be there, experience it, make mistakes, meet people, learn and let yourself change.

You only get to live this experience once. ❤️







JESI, 2026. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed. This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here. I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list πŸ˜† Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the a...

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly πŸ˜…...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!