Skip to main content

Local values and attitudes





Now I have been here for 1 month and 3 weeks, and after this time I would like to talk about the local values and attitudes of Iesi's inhabitants.


We can start with the facilities that the society provides for the integration of the newcomers, this is thanks to their emotional expressiveness that is always accompanied by a characteristic lively and energetic gestural communication, it is through this characteristic and warm way of communicating that great efforts are made to make the newcomer feel part of the tradition and culture (be it gastronomic, customs or historical of the country, and in my case of the region).


Within the Italian society we also find a strong feeling of family unity, this may be due to the fact that religion plays a very important role in the society, which ends up conditioning most of its values; a very remarkable thing is the involvement of young people in the ecclesiastical and spiritual part of themselves through the catholic church, most young people are happy to follow the Christian religion and its values so they participate actively, in fact, in Italy there is the so-called servizio civile which is basically a voluntary service in the community that consists of a great variety of ways to help from civil protection to the preservation and promotion of cultural values and historical heritage (among many other things).


In short, this society and the way it behaves is a great opportunity to reflect on how different perspectives and values can enrich one's life experience, in my case it has been thanks to the interaction between my home culture and the culture here, that I have been able to gain a much deeper understanding of the complexity that defines the identity of Italian culture, an understanding that has also helped me learn to open up to new cultures and consequently become richer (metaphorically speaking).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed. This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here. I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list 😆 Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the a...

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly 😅...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!