Skip to main content

Paul

When I first met Paul in my first month here in Jesi, all I saw in him was the homeless man. Wrapped in a thick, dirty winter coat against the cold, with a cap on his head, desperately trying to keep his dreadlocks together. Very poor of foot, sleepy eyes, unhealthy complexion. A friendly, open smile on his lips.

When I met Paul for the second time, in the middle of my project, I saw the brother who had gone and wanted to return home. At first loud and wildly gesticulating, then suddenly withdrawn and silent. In this video call, they discussed with his younger brother whether Paul could return to his family.

Shortly afterwards I met Paul for the third time. This time I recognised the migrant. What an impact two names have when you identify with the religious one but the other is your official, state one. At the embassy in Rome, they tried to apply for a passport for his home country.

When I met Paul for the fourth and last time, I saw Paul. Ready to leave, ready to go to his homeland, ready to return to his family. Happy, tense, sad. 

 

Paul came to Jesi seven years ago as a migrant. The Caritas operators have accompanied him from the beginning and shared all the ups and downs of his migration project. Unfortunately, it was not successful. Paul stayed on the streets, became an alcoholic, his leg was destroyed by an attack with hot oil. At the end, his health was life-threatening and Paul asked to be brought home to his family. This final stage of Paul's life in Jesi I could witnessed as a silent observer. I saw the battles that had to be fought and the difficulties that arose in the plans until the very end. But it worked. Last week, three operators flew together with Paul to Ghana. They met his family and were able to get an idea of the living conditions in his region. And these impressions are now the basis for a new project. The idea is to gradually support the area in cooperation with the locals. It should start small, e. g. donating clothes to the local shops, so that it strengthens the shop owners, but also enables the residents to buy cheap clothes. If the cooperation goes well, also larger projects such as the construction of a school can be initiated. Paul's life was not easy, it was not beautiful. The reasons why he left his home country, his journey to Italy, the failure of a new start abroad. But if Paul's life had not been like this, this project (which has the potential to achieve much good) would not be planned now.

 

I got to know Paul as a friendly, open person who liked to joke around. And also the Caritas staff spoke always of him with a benevolent smile on their lips. If I met Paul now, who would I see in him? Certainly no longer the homeless man.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrivederci, Jesi!

I can’t believe time has passed so quickly. It feels like yesterday that I arrived in Jesi and got a tour though the whole Caritas facility. But since then, six months have passed. This experience has been valuable to me in more than just one way and I will never forget the precious time that I spent here. It’s hard to put into words how much this project helped me grow personally and how much I learned while volunteering here. I’m so grateful for all of the people I got to meet during my stay in Jesi. My ESC project here gave me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world who shared a lot about their countries and cultures with me. Therefore, they made it possible for me to widen my horizons and it’s their fault that so many places got added to my travel list 😆 Of course, I also found a lot of new friends from this area who introduced me to Italian dinners (something I’ll certainly continue after coming back to Austria!) and who often planned trips to show me around the a...

Arrivederci, Louise!

After nine months of volunteering here at Caritas Jesi, Louise's project has come to an end. However, she wanted to say goodbye to you: It's strange to think that it's already over. As I write these lines, I'm already on the Flixbus, but I find it hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be in France! If I had to sum up my experience here in one word, I would say: encounters. I've learned a lot in 9 months: speaking a new language, opening up more to others, learning how to cook pasta properly 😅...but none of this would have been possible without the people I've met. Whether it was the other volunteers, the beneficiaries of Caritas, the people who follow us on our ESC journey, and above all the friendships I made along the way! Thanks to you, I decided to extend my experience, I gained confidence in myself and, sitting on this bus, I'm already thinking about when I'll come back to see you! So thank you very much, everyone, for everything, and welcom...

Cristina

Hi, my name is Cristina I'm 21 years old, I'm come from Spain and I am a recent graduate of social work. A few months ago, when I graduated, I was very happy but then I realized that I didn't know what to do with my life now, If I should continue studying or working. Then one day I saw a video of a girl who did the ESC volunteer program, and my eyes lit up. I already knew what I wanted to do this year! The next step was to choose what I wanted to volunteer about and in which country. I was clear that I wanted to do it focused on social work. And since I was little I had in mind going to live in Italy for a while, so this was the time to fulfill that dream. So it wasn't difficult for me to choose volunteering. I am very excited about this experience!